Skip navigation
House for W. A. Wilcox, probably Hartford
1915
Architect:Designed by William T. Marchant , American, 1880 - 1948
Drawings; pencil and black ink on tracing paper
Primary Dimensions (height x width): 14 1/4 x 19 7/8in. (36.2 x 50.5cm)
Credit Line: Gift of Colonel and Mrs. Richard L. Shaw
Gallery Copy: William T. Marchant designed numerous Colonial revival houses like this one in Hartford and nearby West Hartford during the early part of the twentieth century. The address of this particular house is unknown, but the style and date suggest that it was built either in the West End of Hartford or in the immediate area. Anyone with knowledge of the location of this house is invited to contact the Connecticut Historical Society at [email protected]
Description: Plans are for a two-story Colonial Revial house with cellar and attic. The house has hip-roofed dormers, two chimineys, columns on the porch, a molded plaster decoration over the front door, and a bay window. The drawings include front, rear, and side elevations, as well as floor plans for the first and second floors, cellar, and attic. The cellar has a laundry room, range coal room , heater coal room, a cold room, and W.C. (toilet). Included on the first floor are a hall, dining room, living room, den, kitchen, pantry, butler's pantry, lavatory, two closets, and a porch. The second floor has three chambers, a sewing room, hall landing, five closets, one linen closet, two bathrooms, and a balcony. The attic has a storage room, chamber (bedroom), two maids' rooms, a hall bath, and three closets.
Date Note: There is no date on the drawings, but based on their job number, they must date to 1915. (Finlay 8/11/2011)
Inscription: 1999.100.48.8: On recto, in black ink, upper center "HOUSE FOR W. A. WILCOX." Accession numbers are noted on verso of all drawings, lower right, in pencil.
Object Number: 1999.100.48.1-.8
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend