Skip navigation
House for L. W. Slocum, probably Hartford
1916
Architect:Designed by William T. Marchant , American, 1880 - 1948
Drawings; pencil on tracing paper with orange dimensional lines
Primary Dimensions (height x width): 13 13/16 x 16 15/16in. (35.1 x 43cm)
Credit Line: Gift of Colonel and Mrs. Richard L. Shaw
Gallery Copy: William T. Marchant designed numerous Colonial revival houses like this one in Hartford and nearby West Hartford during the early part of the twentieth century. The address of this particular house is unknown, but the style and date suggest that it was built either in the West End of Hartford or in the immediate area. Anyone with knowledge of the location of this house is invited to contact the Connecticut Historical Society at [email protected]
Description: Plans are for a two-story Colonial Revial house with attic and cellar. The house has clapboard siding, two chimneys, two quarter-round lunettes, columns on the porch and hip-roofed dormers. The drawings include front, rear, and side elevations, as well as floor plans for the first and second levels, cellar, and attic. Included in the cellar are a laundry room, two coal rooms, a cold room, and toilet. The first floor has three porches, a veranda, kitchen, dining room, living room, butler's pantry, a pantry, and lavatory. The second floor has three chambers (bedrooms), three closets, one den, one hall, and two bathrooms. Included in the attic are a storage room, closet, hall, bathroom, and three chambers.
Title Note: Louis W. Slocum was a Hartford developer. (Finlay 8/11/2011)
Inscription: 1999.100.86.1: On recto, in black ink, upper center "HOUSE FOR L. W. SLOCUM." Accession numbers are noted on verso of all drawings, lower right, in pencil.
Object Number: 1999.100.86.1-.8
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend