Skip navigation
House for L. W. Slocum, probably Hartford
1916
Architect:Designed by William T. Marchant , American, 1880 - 1948
Drawings; pencil on tracing paper, with orange dimensional lines
Primary Dimensions (height x width): 13 3/16 x 17 1/4in. (33.4 x 43.8cm)
Credit Line: Gift of Colonel and Mrs. Richard L. Shaw
Gallery Copy: William T. Marchant designed numerous Colonial revival houses like this one in Hartford and nearby West Hartford during the early part of the twentieth century. The address of this particular house is unknown, but the style and date suggest that it was built either in the West End of Hartford or in the immediate area. Anyone with knowledge of the location of this house is invited to contact the Connecticut Historical Society at [email protected]
Description: Plans for a two-story Colonial Revial house show clapboard siding, hip-roofed dormers, two chimneys, and lattice. The drawings include front, rear, and side elevations, and floor plans for the cellar, first, second, and attic levels. The cellar has a laundry room, coal room, and cold room. Included on the first floor are two porches, a veranda, living room, dining room, hall, kitchen, den, pantry, butler's pantry, and one closet. The second floor has four chambers (bedrooms), six closets, one linen closet, and hall. The attic has three chambers, three closets, a storage room, bathroom, and hall.
Title Note: Louis W. Slocum was a Hartford developer. (Finlay 8/11/2011)
Inscription: 1999.100.87.1: On recto, upper center "HOUSE FOR L. W. SLOCUM." Accession numbers are noted on verso of all drawings, lower right, in pencil.
Object Number: 1999.100.87.1-.8
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend