Skip navigation
House for John T. Austin, 54 North Beacon Street, Hartford
1915
Architect:Designed by William T. Marchant , American, 1880 - 1948
Drawings; pencil and black ink on tracing paper
Primary Dimensions (height x width): 14 1/2 x 16 1/2in. (36.8 x 41.9cm)
Credit Line: Gift of Colonel and Mrs. Richard L. Shaw
Description: Plans for a two-story frame house include drawings of front, rear, and side elevations, and floor plans for the cellar, first, second, and attic levels. Rooms noted on the cellar floor plan are a laundry, cold, and two coal rooms. On the first level floor plan, the architect included a porch, veranda, dining room, living room, butler's pantry, kitchen, den, closets, porch, and pantry. The second level includes three chambers (bedrooms), sewing room, hall, two bathrooms, closets, window seat, balcony, and stairwell. Three chambers, a storage area, bathroom, and closets are noted on the attic floor plan. The plans allow for a tin deck on the roof, first floor bay window, and two red-brick chimneys with wide white raked joints.
Date Note: According to an article in the Hartford Courant (May 2, 1915), John T. Austin and his family were scheduled to move into their new home at 54 North Beacon Street on May 3. The article describes a special wing that was added to the house to accomodate a large organ. Inscription Note: The "Wilcox" who appears in the inscription is Wilbur A. Wilcox, who sold "a single dwelling house now building at 54 North Beacon Street" to John T. Austin in January 1915 (Hartford Courant, January 26, 1915) Owner Note: John T. Austin was president of the Austin Organ Company.
Inscription: 1999.100.42.1: On recto, upper center, in pencil "WILCOX AUSTIN." Accession numbers are located on verso of all drawings, lower right, in pencil. All drawings include dimensions in black ink.
Object Number: 1999.100.42.1-.8
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend